Trevor and I have been trying out new recipes and we have been tweaking and perfecting the recipes to our taste buds. Trevor loves eating chicken breasts (I am not a "breast" person) so I have trying new ways to cook it so I will eat it. Yes I love him that much to cook things I don't necessarily will eat. So here is a recipe that will leave the chicken breasts nice, moist, and juicy.
Santa Fe Chicken and Rice
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 teaspoons butter
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add broth and salsa; bring to a boil
- Stir in the rice and garlic powder
- Place chicken over rice; cook and simmer for 10 minutes
- Turn chicken over; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear and rice is tender.
- Remove from heat
- Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro if desired
Makes 2 serving